Poll: Starting To Look More Like Clinton vs. Romney in 2008
New polls in all three early states by the American Research Group are out today and it looks like Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) and former governor Mitt Romney (R-MA) are consolidating their leads in these critical contests.
First the Democrats:
* Iowa: Clinton 32%, Obama 22%, Edwards 15%
* New Hampshire: Clinton 40%, Obama 22%, Edwards 10%
* South Carolina: Clinton 41%, Obama 19%, Edwards 18%
And next the Republicans:
* Iowa: Romney 27%, Huckabee 19%, Giuliani 16%, McCain 14%
* New Hampshire: Romney 30%, Giuliani 23%, McCain 17%
* South Carolina: Romney 29%, Giuliani 23%, McCain 13%,
The first amazing thing in these polls is that former senator Fred Thompson (R-TN) has dropped off the radar altogether, and former governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR) has lapped former mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY) in Iowa. The second is that a single contender now clearly leads in all three states, on both sides. Anyone who sweeps these three contests is a virtual shoo-in, despite what the national polls say at this point.